Islamifoorum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Islamifoorum

Foorum islamiteemadel arutlemiseks

PealehtPealeht  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  OtsiOtsi  RegistreeriRegistreeri  Logi sisse  

VF: S-L-W mida tahendab salat?

Go down 
AutorTeade
Admin
Admin

Postituste arv : 251

VF: S-L-W mida tahendab salat? Empty
PostitaminePealkiri: VF: S-L-W mida tahendab salat?   VF: S-L-W mida tahendab salat? Icon_minitimeTeis Aug 26, 2008 6:13 pm

fennek

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 02:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katkend artiklist

http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/slw.htm

Quote:
The root of "salat" are the Arabic letters:

ص ل و (right to left in Arabic)
Saad-Lam-Waw (slw). E.W. Lane's Arabic-English lexicon/dictionary gives the following possible meanings of the root:

prayer, supplication, petition, oration, eulogy, benediction, commendation, blessing, honour, magnify, bring forth, follow closely, walk/follow behind closely, to remain attached, to contact or to be in contact.

In a horse race when the second horse follows the first one so closely that its head always overlaps the first horse’s body that horse is called AL-MUSSALLI (i.e. the one who follows closely or remains attached).*
Central portion of the back, portion from where the tail of an animal comes out, the rump.

*the word 'musalleena' (plural) is used in al quran (the reading), please see 70:22, 74:43, 107:4.

But surely the best explanation should be taken from the Words of God, so what does Al Quran (The Reading) say about slw?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this article I will try to be brief but accurate:
From 75:31-32 it can be seen that the basic meaning of salla* is to 'go/turn towards', because it is contrasted/compared (i.e. put opposite to) 'went/turn away'.
Furthermore, every single occurrence of the root slw is used in a positive manner, thus if this information is taken along with the root meanings, we can expand the basic meaning a little further to: to go/turn towards in a close/positive manner.

*in this verse salat (noun) is in its verb (2nd form) as salla.

Chapter 75

31. For he did not confirm (saddaqa*) nor go/turned towards (salla).
32. But he denied (kaththaba) and went/turned away (tawalla). **

*be careful not to confuse saddaqa (confirm) with saddaqat (charity).
**it is also interesting to note that al quran's rhythmic style is also utilised in the comparison.

One could substitute this term with similar words such as link/bond/connect, remain attached, continue contact, follow closely or commitment, i.e. a word which implies to go/turn towards.

slw = go/turn towards. This is the core meaning of a general concept.

Allow me an analogy to demonstrate its general meaning, if I say to you: "go/turn towards justice". You could achieve this in many ways. For example you could start with yourself, make sure you act just, you could become a lawyer, you could help raise funds to set up law courts, you could educate others on justice, give a truthful testimony in a court case, you could become a policeman etc. Note that there are many activities you can do to "go/turn towards justice". In other words, to "go/turn towards" something is a general term and can be applied very widely.

(I simply chose "justice" as an example of a concept/object you could go/turn towards, I could have said democracy, wealth, health etc.)

One may ask, well, what are we supposed to "go/turn towards"? It depends on context, however, the core meaning of "go/turn towards" is always implied.

kel huvi, kylastagu ylaltoodud linki. Sealt laheb see artikkel veel edasi.
vaga huvitav uurimustoo igatahes.
ehk siis pohiline, millest see artikkel raagib, on see, et slw tahendab millegisuunas minekut, poorduma kellegi (Nt Jumala) poole.
Tagasi üles Go down
https://islamifoorum.forum.co.ee

VF: S-L-W mida tahendab salat?
Tagasi üles 
Lehekülg 1, lehekülgi kokku 1